Sunday, January 27, 2008

And some Junior mints and a Cherry Coke, please

Since you guys declined to add anything, except of course for the marvelous Princess Japonski, I had to go and find the other rock and roll movie clips myself. There are still a few that I haven't added, most notably a clip from Purple Rain, but let these few amuse you.

It's a love song, really. This whole movie is about the price of fame, but I particularly like this delicate little piece from Spinal Tap:



Some actors have uncanny ability when it comes to mimicry. Joaquin Phoenix's Johnny Cash is more homage that imitation, but Jamie Foxx's Ray Charles is eerie. "We gotta get that on wax!"



We could talk for a really long time about how I am obsessed with boys with blond pompadours, but I think it can all be traced back to this movie, this clip in particular. Lou Diamond Phillips plays Ritchie Valens as a young man fully aware of his fate, which I never quite bought, but I paid about ten thousand dollars buying into Brian Setzer's spot-on Eddie Cochran:



Laurence Fishburn as Ike Turner was magnetic and frightening. This clip really illustrates the kind of power the man must have had. From What's Love Got To Do With It, with Angela Bassett as Tina Turner:



Who's That Girl is not a great movie. It's not even really a good movie. But Madonna is allowed to basically play herself, and the opening credits are divine, mostly because I love animation. I only wish that it was the title song instead of Causing a Commotion:

2 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! I had no idea about What's Love Got to Do With It.
    My Netflix queue is getting really long...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:45 AM

    I told you that I could not think of any music themed movies, remember, I live in a cave and rarely come out

    ReplyDelete