Well, I finally went and did it. The bits started trickling in yesterday, and I cut the corset pieces. It took some creative overlaying of seam allowances to get all of the interfacing pieces out of the low-pile twilled corduroy I used, but I cut all of them. And then realized that the reason people buy expensive scissors is so that they have sharp ones when they need them. My less than perfectly sharp ones wreaked havoc on the slippery satin brocade I chose as the outer layer, and I thnk it affected the exact size. Oh well, I'm pretty sure that's why the seam allowances are so big.
On the bright side, I got to buy heavy duty equipment at the hardware store. I was standing in the aisle with a pair of metal cutters - aviation snips for anyone who cares about that stuff - contemplating the hacksaws when a very confused, very dirty, slight man in a filthy flannel said, "That's a handy little one, right there." I looked at its petite self and thought about the likelihood of its cutting forty pieces of 1/4" steel boning, and said I thought maybe something a little burlier might be in order. I gestured with the wicked metal jaws of my new aviation snips, and that pretty much stopped the conversation dead in its tracks. Then I bought myself a new Xacto knife with faux-Delft patterns on it. The snips work a dream, although I think I might need some goggles. N more cutting of metal yet, tho. I have sewing to do.