Monday, March 24, 2008

She really just goes for the tobiko.

Her Royal Highness, Bealicious and I went for sushi for lunch today. We needed to get away from the house because the weather has been thwarting our every attempt to check mail or get fresh air for the past several days, and the cats are going insane because it was Easter! which at our house means Plastic Egg Halves! which according to my cats are More Fun Than Catnip! So we braved the herring weather (imagine if someone shone a 100 watt lightbulb directly into your corneas while simultaneously dousing you with a shower of unflavored Sno-Cone while you were standing in front of one of those industrial wind machines) to slip away for giant steaming bowls of udon and a plate full of tekka maki for me (I like it spicy!). The restaurant was more or less deserted when we got there, despite the fact that it was barely past one o'clock. The sushi chef was berating the kitchen help (apparently) for being an inattentive dumbass, which should have surprised exactly no one, given that the helper dude looked like an extra from a Judd Apatow movie. But here's the thing that really captured my attention: it was Soft Rock Cliche Day at Little Tokyo.

While HRH and I consumed our meal, we heard the following songs:
1)All By Myself, Eric Carmen
2)Without You, Airsupply
3)Open Arms, Journey
4) Tell Laura I Love Her, Ray Peterson (the link is not Ray Peterson, it's Sha Na Na.)
5)Happy Together, The Turtles
6)Whiter Shade of Pale, Annie Lennox - this was a cover, but still.

Miss Thing was done at this point, but I really wanted to stay to see what they would play next. Hard Habit to Break? Missing You? Everything I Do, I Do It For You? I mean, the 60's songs in the second half of the set threw me for a minute, but I give them credit for sticking with the overall tone of the thing. I'd like to think it would be Doin' It All For My Baby or Broken Wings, but have a sneaking suspicion that it would be one of these two gems:



2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha!! This is my favorite post of yours EVER. Not only because it's link-a-rific, but because I can totally picture you and Bea in a deserted Little Tokyo, and the look on your face as each song comes on. Priceless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going a bit crazy myself with this snow post easter,the interesting lunch soundtrack fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete